Monday, January 18, 2010

BP5_2010012_Web2.0T2_Voki

The Web 2.0 tool I chose to review this week was www.voki.com This tool allows the user to create an avatar which can be given a voice through text to voice or the users own voice through the microphone on the computer and also through the telephone.

I was able to create several voki's using avatars such as President Obama, a dog, and various other animated characters. I used the microphone on my computer to make the avatar speak and then used it on my Smart Board in order to do the lead in to a science lesson. It allowed me to use up to 60 seconds of time and it came out extremely clear. The students were listening very well because they couldn't figure out why a dog had Mr. B's voice.

The students then wanted to create their own so I had them go home and set up accounts so we could start using it. The next day the students came in and I let them experiment a little bit. They used the text to voice recognition which wasn't as good as the microphone and only allowed for them to do few characters, so they weren't able to be nearly as long as with the microphone. After a few that were done this way I decided to have Voki call my cell phone and let the students speak into the phone what they wanted to say. This worked very well and turned out extremely clear.

I then had the students make avatars from home using Voki and they used their phones. They were able to create 60 second messages and they were perfectly clear. The assignment I gave was just simply to give me some interesting facts that are related to Science. Tell me something interesting that you think others might want to know.

This was a huge hit with the students and my email started filling up with things from my students. They had fun doing it and learned some new content too. I will be doing more of this in the future. Check out some of these samples.

1 comment:

  1. I use Voki for a lot of things. I sent one out to my tech liaisons at each campus and once they got past the fact that my voice was coming from a dalmation, they loved it. Great way to grab attention.

    ReplyDelete